Mindfulness and New Experiences

Thursday, July 24, 2014


Photo Credit: Tc Morgan via Compfight cc

Hello everyone, I'm sorry this post is a day late. I've been dealing with horrible allergies the past week and it's the first time in my life that I've had them. So, it's been a new experience to say the least and it gave me the inspiration for this post.

My new experience

New experiences can be terrifying and scary, particularly when they are so far from what we normally do. Six months ago I made the decision to move to Vermont for my new job. Before moving here, I had never lived outside of my home state of Illinois. Why did I decide to move to Vermont when I could have tried to get a job closer to home?

Because I knew myself. I knew I needed to grow and I couldn't stay where I was to do that. I wanted to experience new places and new interests. And in the six months I've lived here, I come to know so much more about myself and what my interests and hobbies are.

How can we stay mindful in the midst of new experiences?

There have been many times where I wondered if what I did was the right thing for me. Sometimes, everything just completely overwhelms me. I've felt sad, angry, and homesick on numerous occasions since moving and I've wondered if my job is right for me more than once.

How did I get myself out of these funks? By recognizing that it's just a moment. Every bad day is just that: one bad day. And thankfully, we get a brand new day right after it. 

How did I conquer those overwhelming feelings? By tuning into them at the height of my emotions and remembering to just breathe.

Tuning into my thoughts, feelings, and body for a peaceful moment has hugely impacted how I react to stress. I am so thankful for what those peaceful moments have taught me.

When you are feeling overwhelmed by your new experiences, remember to: 

  • Breathe 
  • Practice gratitude
  • Accept that it's just a moment 

As always, thank you for reading :)


Add a comment »

Leave a Reply